MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!
Wanted to share a little about the recent Xmas Vegan Potluck we had (see previous post). Was great catching up with old friends and meeting new friends…also got to meet 2 readers (waves to Gigi and Angela!). Didn’t manage to take much pictures because it was SO HOT, but we had quite the spread!
I contributed 2 dishes – Vegan Bean & Sweet Potato Chilli and Sweet Potato Hummus. I love making my own food, but I admit it does get a little bit intimidating cooking for a large group of people because you don’t know if it caters to their taste. But luckily, both dishes were very well received and I had a few people asking me to post the recipe…so (whew!) and I’m more than happy to share!
VEGAN BEAN & SWEET POTATO CHILLI
I can’t claim to have written this recipe. Got it off this link but changed a few measurements along the way. Also made it less spicy!
What you’ll need
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled
- 2 medium carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can kidney beans
- 1 can organic diced tomatoes
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tsp chili powder (please add more if you want it spicer)
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne (please add more if you want it spicer)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 pcs bay leaves
- Chop and cube sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper.
- Sautee onions and garlic in olive oil for a minute or two, then add sweet potatoes, carrots and bell pepper until onions are soft, about 5-6 minutes.
- In a separate pot, add remaining ingredients and bring to a low boil. Add the sautéed vegetables and bring to heat to medium low.
- Simmer, partially covered and stirring occasionally, for 20-25 minutes, until flavors have mingled and vegetables are cooked. Taste and add more spices if you want more heat.
SWEET POTATO HUMMUS
This hummus is quite thick and can be a little dry. But its very close to the texture of traditional hummus. If its too thick for you, feel free to add more olive oil or save a little of the chickpea liquid to add in.
What you’ll need
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 5 – 6 tbs olive oil
- 1 can unsalted chickpeas
- 3 tbs tahini
- 3 cloves garlic
- Juice of 1 ½ lemons
- 1 tsp paparika
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ – 1 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 180 degreees. Using a fork, poke some “holes” in the sweet potatoes so that they bake faster. Leave them in the oven for an hour till
- Process all ingredients!
- Add more olive oil and paparika when you serve…enjoy!